Using a slow cooker has many advantages such as:
1) Time management with cooking.
2) Using budget cuts of meat such as chuck steak. This is excellent for GUT HEALTH because the collagen fibres (with amino acid glutamine gut healer) are released well with slow cooking. It also helps your digestion and is soothing to your gut.
3) Red meat happens to be the best source of iron and zinc – these are two key minerals for immune system health. Don’t get me wrong, i’m not recommending red meat daily, but once or twice a week is great for health – especially if you happen to have absorption issues with iron and zinc.
4) Using a slow cooker allow you to bring in the goods (and lots of them) such as finely diced ginger, garlic, onions, chillies (if desired), and culinary antioxidant herbs like fennel, cumin, rosemary, basil, marjoram (to name a few)
5) You can do a double batch and freeze off half for later in the month
6) Always add your greens as a side dish, such as Bok choy, baby spinach, broccoli, beans, brussel sprouts, cabbage etc.
This goulash rendition has about 900grams of chuck steak rolled in corn and lentil flour; 2 x onions, 6 cloves of garlic, a knob of ginger, 2 x carrots, 1 ½ tsp each of cumin, fennel, dried mixed herbs, paprika; served with steamed broccoli, basmati rice and a squeeze of lemon 🍋 + some pot set yoghurt if desired.